Church Gardens

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth;
One is nearer God’s heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on Earth.
++++++++Dorothy Frances Gurney (1858-1932)

Front elevation of the Church, showing part of the gardens

Headingley Methodist Church (HMC) stands at the heart of Headingley on the Otley Road and opposite the Arndale shopping centre. Part of our outreach to the community is our attractive Church gardens, which are also an expression of our care of God’s world. We are proud of our gardens that make a statement that we care. Thanks to Gerry Vernon for their care – helpers are always welcome!

Please contact Gordon Andrews if you would like to help in our gardens.

By the main door of the Church
The gardens on the left and right of the main entrance, taken on the 16th of May 2020 (Gordon Andrews). The views above are those seen on exiting the Church, with glimpses of the shops in the Arndale Centre. The very large trees absorb carbon dioxide and traffic pollution and are a major feature of the greenery of Headingley. There are no trees on the other side of the road, and as both of these are in our gardens, and each is over 100 years old, we are responsible to the community for them.
This is the garden that borders Chapel Street, with the cottages of old Headingley beyond. When the Church was opened in 1845 it was surrounded by green fields. Chapel Street, Chapel Square and Chapel Place were built in the twenty years afterwards in similar Yorkshire stone. The year 2020 marks our 175th anniversary of serving the Headingley community.
Bluebells in the centre of Headingley under the tree by the Bank
The area to the left of the bluebells is looking particularly beautiful at the moment (May 2020)
Rev. Gordon Ryder and his wife Barbara led the Church community from 1985 until 1990. The Ryder garden was set up in what was up till then a rather derelict area. This garden is to the left of the Church in the space between the Church and the bank.
Some of the attractive flowers in the Church gardens at the moment (May 2020)
The ‘back door’ to the Church off North Lane